Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Seoul Day 5 – Enjoying the traditional houses at Bukchon Hanok Village

During my last day in Seoul, I decided to explore the area most close to where I was staying. I intentionally slid this to the back of my itinerary as it was just there.

It was really cold today as the wind coming from the mountains was quite strong. The surroundings felt gloomy as well since the sun didn’t show up from behind the clouds. Though that was the case, I still went on to walk around the narrow streets that wind about Bukchon Hanok Village.

PB081521035e
narrow streets at Bukchon Hanok Village



The day before, I got a map of this place from the Visitor Information Center. It was really helpful since it shows you the scenic picture spots of the village. It also showcases the things that you can do while roaming the village.

PB061176133e
a typical traditional house

I took my time in wandering around this traditional village to enjoy the serene environment. I came to a nice spot after a long uphill climb which showed great views. From here, you can see Mt. Bukhansan with its autumn colors – a sight worth seeing! Also, you can catch good views of the Samcheongdong neighborhood below from this spot.

PB081487001e
view of Samcheongdong and Mt. Bukhansan

Continuing on, I walked towards the inside of the village where the residential houses are. As several families go about their daily lives here, tourists are advised to keep to themselves and not make so much noise. The houses are really nicely maintained in this area. It makes you feel how Seoul must have looked like a few hundred years ago. I enjoyed the long walk around this part as you get to feel like you are part of the town.

PB081500014e
one of the traditional houses

By the way, this place is quite hilly. Better prepare some stamina before going to endure the steep climbs in some areas. Also, wear comfortable shoes to prevent from slipping when going downhill.

PB081491005e
Downhill View of Bukchon Hanok Village

After staying in this area for quite some time, I went ahead to explore a different spot. There are many shops here that line the narrow streets – specifically, workshops. Those who love traditional arts and crafts will definitely enjoy this place. For just a minimal fee, you get to try your hand on making some of them – perfect one of a kind souvenir if you ask me!

PB081524038e
Embroidery Workshop

When I finished browsing around these shops, I noticed that it was already noon. Since I was supposed to meet some friends over at a different place for lunch, I ended the sightseeing and proceeded to the nearest subway station.

PB081518032e
Knot Workshop

I had a great time going around Bukchon Hanok Village. I learned some new things about the local lifestyle of the Koreans who live in this area. Also, I gained insight on some of their traditional arts & crafts. Lovely place! Definitely worth another visit if I get the chance to go back to Seoul! 

What are your thoughts on Bukchon Hanok Village? Did this post make you want to go and visit it too? Tell me about it by commenting below or using the Contact button on the right.

If you have some questions, feel free to ask. I’ll try my best to help you out.

This post concludes my 5 Day journey around Seoul, South Korea. Hope you guys had a good time reading through my posts while finding some helpful information about your upcoming travels.

For more about my itinerary, you can follow this link: Seoul, South Korea - 5 Days / 4 Night Itinerary

4 comments:

  1. hi! I am going back to SK on January 2014 and this time I want to try staying at one of the hanok houses in Bukchon. Can you recommend any house in particular? Many thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! thanks for dropping by. i didn't get the chance to stay at a hanok but i think it's a worthwhile experience. you might want to check this site out for more information on hanok homestays: http://homestay.jongno.go.kr/homestayEngMain.do

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Id like to know how much time you spent in each places you visited?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi chemedora! i spent about 1-2 hours in each place to maximize what the place has to offer and to take in the experience more.

      Delete