Sunday, February 24, 2013

Seoul Day 3 - Lunch at Flora by Chef Cho Woo Hyun


Between touring Changdeokgung Palace and Insadong, I came to Flora by Chef Cho Woo Hyun for lunch. Conveniently situated at the hilly neighbourhood of Samcheongdong, it was a great place to have a quiet and relaxed lunch.


PB061167124e



The main reason for going here is that I wanted a break from eating all forms of Asian cuisine. Seeing that this restaurant is primarily serving Italian cuisine, I immediately considered dining here. Besides, I want to try how Italian dishes taste here in Seoul.


PB061166123e

It took me quite some time to browse the menu since I wanted to see all the dishes that they serve before deciding on what to get. What made the decision making process harder was that everything seemed so appealing!


2012-11-06 13.33f
view from my table

I ended up ordering a risotto dish since I wanted a filling rice meal to give me energy for the rest of the day.

As I was waiting for my order, one of the servers brought me a complimentary bread platter. Such a pleasant surprise! It had 4 different types of bread. I had to say that each one was delicious! However, my favorite of all was this purplish looking bread as it exudes a subtle yet flavorful taste. I just wish I knew what it was called so I can hunt for it at some local bake shops.


2012-11-06 13.38e
complimentary bread platter

When the Seafood Risotto arrived at my table, the first thing I noticed was how much seafood was in it – it was a lot! I guess one thing to note while still on the onset is that this dish got the value of my money. As for the taste, the risotto just had the right amount of creaminess to it. This actually balanced the salty taste of the seafood very well. I also like how the seafood in this dish – shrimps, mussels, clams, fish, and squid – is so fresh!  


2012-11-06 13.43e
Seafood Risotto - 23,000 KRW

To end my dining experience, a small but delicious dessert was brought my way. Another unexpected moment! Fact is I did not order any dessert. In any case, this fruit and cream concoction was delightful – not too sweet and bursting with flavors.


2012-11-06 14.21e
simple and light dessert

Another thing which enhanced my dining experience here were the interiors. The restaurant décor and set-up was sophisticated. Nonetheless, it did not give off that stiffness that other fine dining restaurants have. It must have been the good blend between the use of natural light and artificial ones. The frames and photos on the walls exuded a homey feel as well.


2012-11-06 13.33e
natural light permeating the restaurant


2012-11-06 13.43f
interiors and decor

Being quite on the high-end side of things, the restaurant boasts of quality ingredients prepared rigorously to produce first class meals. True to that, I experienced one of the best meals here in Flora.


PB061164121e
Cho Woo Hyun - Korea Master Chef

I would definitely love to go back here again to dine when in Seoul.


2012-11-06 14.25e

Want to discover more about my 5 Days and 4 Nights in Seoul, South Korea? Just click the link.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is a really good find in Seoul! I don't know when I'll be able to travel to Seoul. But when I do, I'll definitely drop by Flora after immersing myself first in authentic Korean food. :)

    ReplyDelete